Augmented reality in gaming industry
Have you wondered what it would be like if the boundaries between the virtual world of games and reality began to blur? In recent years, these fantasies have become increasingly real, thanks to the rapid development of augmented reality (AR) technology.
Introduction to augmented reality in games
Augmented reality technologyallows freedom of movement in three-dimensional spaceand has found its way into various branches of entertainment, including gaming industry.
The history of AR in gaming industry dates back to the early 1990s when Louis Rosenberg developed the first AR game 'Virtual Fixtures'. Since then, advances in technology have enabled developers to create more sophisticated AR games that provide immersive and realistic experiences. Augmented reality technology has evolved into advanced systems, using computer vision and machine learning algorithms to track objects in the real world. This has opened up new opportunities for game developers to create complex and engaging designs.
Also read: augmented reality: hot or not?
Examples of AR in games
Games using augmented reality are some of the latest and most innovative games available on the market. With AR, players can interact with virtual objects that are embedded in the real world. Examples of popular AR games on social networks are:
- Pokemon Go – a game that has gained huge popularity worldwide. Players can catch virtual Pokemon characters that appear in their real environment.
- Ingress – a game where players battle for control of strategic points in the real world using augmented reality.
- Jurassic World Alive – a game that allows players to catch virtual dinosaurs that appear in their real-world environment.
- Harry Potter: Wizards Unite – a game where players can interact with characters from Harry Potter’s world using augmented reality.
In addition to social gaming, AR is used in many other fields such as education, advertising, medicine, architecture and many more. An example of an AR application outside of the gaming world is Ikea Place, an app that allows furniture to be virtually placed in real rooms (see the 3D visualisation of the products on our website).
How will it evolve?
Augmented reality is a technology that is constantly evolving. In video games, too, and it will become increasingly important for this industry. As AR continues to develop, game developers will use the technology in a more advanced way, allowing for even more immersive experiences.
Moreover, AR can be used in video game advertising to increase its visibility and appeal. An example of this is Pepsi Max "Unbelievable" advertising campaign which used AR to create an interactive experience with famous athletes. In the future, one can expect that AR will be used in games in even more advanced ways, for example by using augmented reality to generate virtual worlds with interactive characters. Avatars will react to players' movements and mimic their behaviour in the real world.
Also read: how much does AR cost?
Benefits of augmented reality in games
Augmented reality has revolutionised the gaming industry, providing players with a range of benefits that enhance the experience and have a strong impact on their senses.
- Augmented reality games are also improving physical activity among players. One example is 'Pokémon Go' which has encouraged players to leave their homes and explore their surroundings in search of virtual creatures.
- Another benefit of augmented reality in games is increased social interaction. Games such as 'Pokémon Go' have brought people together, creating a sense of community among players who share common interests. Augmented reality games provide players with real-time interaction, promoting socialisation and communication. This social aspect of games using AR adds a new dimension to video games.
From the very beginning, AR games have attracted the attention of gamers, who have been discovering new ways to interact with the world through this technology. One of the reasons why AR is considered the future is its ability to create immersive and unique experiences(read on the blog: immersive VR training ). AR allows people to interact with virtual objects that are embedded in the real world, which increases player engagement and excitement. AR is a revolutionary tool for business, for example in advertising and marketing as it increases the product visibility and the customer’s interest. Therefore, it is becoming more and more important in various areas of our lives and the development of this technology will definitely continue in the years to come.
Sound interesting? Then take a look at our 3D configurator and create virtual products that can be 'embedded' in the real world.
Do you like the post? Share to others!
For years, he has been involved in AR / VR projects ranging from entertainment to heavy industry. Always looking for problem solving through technology.
Augmented reality (AR) is increasingly boldly entering the classroom, offering new, interactive teaching methods. It transforms...
The Metaverse is a concept that is increasingly emerging in discussions about the future of technology and the digital world...
In an era where efficient, effective, and engaging training is integral to a company's success, many are turning to emerging technologies for solutions...